Downsizing Tips For Seniors
One of the best things for seniors to do after retirement is downsizing. A smaller living space means fewer items to use, lower bills, and a safe space. Throughout this article, we will go through when it is the right time to downsize homes for seniors, tips to make downsizing easier, and how Atlanta Property Inspection can help.
When Is The Right Time to Downsize Homes for Seniors?
Most seniors want to live the rest of their lives in their current home. However, sometimes, your loved ones should downsize their homes. Here is a list that shows the right time to downsize:
- If the monthly housing expenses are not affordable
- The yard and house maintenance becomes hard
- Not much money is left after paying the expenses
- The environment isn’t good for aging, like too many stairs.
Tips to Make Downsizing Easier
If you have trouble downsizing, here are some tips that will make the process easier for you:
- Organize Items In Categories: When you downsize, you must start organizing items into different categories. Organizing your items will allow you to easily keep up with what you want to keep, get rid of, donate, or sell.
- Get Rid of Trash: One common problem we see in people who want to downsize is they don’t want to get rid of anything. However, the point of downsizing is to minimize the items count to only the essential ones. So, do not hold yourself back from throwing anything away. However, sometimes, you shouldn’t throw away everything. Who knows, maybe you can sell them?
- Sell Unnecessary Items: Some houses are just filled with valuable items that not even homeowners remember having. We have talked about the importance of getting rid of items when it comes to downsizing for homes. One good way of doing so is to start selling your items. Host a yard sale. Repurpose the items you no longer want to keep in your house and sell them. You will be able to make a big profit and have to give it to someone else who will value your items. With the profits made, you can even fund your lifestyle changes.
- Prepare Essential Bags: It is crucial to prepare essential bags like sleepwear, medication, bedding, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and kitchen and meal supplies. Having bags for these will give the person constant access to such important items.
- Buy a Storage Unit: Sometimes, we don’t have enough space to organize the items we want. Buying a storage unit will allow you to organize many items into a single unit.
Atlanta Property Inspection
Are you looking for an experienced inspection service that can help downsize for seniors? If so, you are at the right place. At Atlanta Property Inspection, we are dedicated to providing quality services to our customers. With our experienced home inspectors and affordable price plans, inspections are no longer a problem. Call us today to learn more about us and our services, or get estimates for your next home inspection.