Ice dams are a common problem homeowners face. They cause the house to be damaged and the property to lose value. Preventing ice dams is easy and possible; however, many homeowners don't know their causes and prevention methods. To inform everyone, we gathered some information. Throughout this article, we will go over why ice dams are considered bad, their causes, ways to prevent them, and how Atlanta Property Inspection can help. Let’s start.
Why Are Ice Dams Considered Bad?
You have probably heard many times that dams harm a house. This is mainly because dams cause shingles to loosen and gutter to tear off. In the end, all the snow and water will be poured into your house. You can expect peeled paint, stained ceilings, and mold growth with water in your house. Let’s learn more about their causes and prevention in the following sections.
What Causes Ice Dams
There are several main causes of ice dams. Let’s go over them:
- Air leakage: One of the main causes of air leakage. If a lot of air is transported, this will warn the attic and cause melting.
- Thermal bridging through the walls: If you have an older house, ice dams can be caused by poor insulation. These mostly occur in places where the roof and walls meet. When heat is transferred, it melts the snow and causes the water to leak inside the house.
- Heat-causing lights: If you have a lot of lights and other equipment that cause heat, air leaks will worsen. The heat will pass through the bulbs and melt the snow.
How to Prevent Ice Dams
- Thankfully, ice dams have solutions. Let’s go over some ways you can prevent them fast:
- Freezing the water: If you decide to shovel or throw in salts, this will cause big damage to the roof and will be bad for you. Instead, to prevent the water from leaking, you can freeze it and quickly solve the problem.
- Rake the dam: If you are in a situation where you have to act quickly, we suggest you rake the dam. Pull the snow off the roof and let the water run down. You will quickly realize that it will cause the temperature to change.
- Long-term solution: If you would like to get rid of this problem permanently, you must have home inspectors inspect and identify the cause of the problem. Based on their report, they will refer you to a professional service that will allow you to live an ice dam problem-free life.
Looking For An Experience Home Inspection Service? Atlanta Property Inspection
A professional service is crucial to solving ice dam problems permanently. That is where we come in. With over two and a half decades of experience in this industry, Atlanta Property Inspection is at your service. With our community support, amazing customer service, experienced home inspectors, dedication, and affordable price plans, home inspection has never been easier. Call us today to learn more about us and our services or get more information on your next home inspection in Milton. What are you waiting for? Call us now.